NEW: The PRMO-2018 on Aug 19 in KERALA REGION stands cancelled because of the incessant rains. A new date will be announced shortly on this website.
List of registration centers is available on mtaexam.com
Last date for centre registration: Extended to July 3, 2018
Last date for student registration: Extended to July 10, 2018
PRMO Registration link: http://mtaexam.com/
Pre-RMO exam: First step to Indian Mathematical Olympiad 2018-19
- The National Board for Higher Mathematics (NBHM) which is in charge of the mathematical olympiad activity, has entrusted its implementation to the Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education (HBCSE) to be carried out in coordination with the MO-Cell and the National Coordinator appointed by NBHM, supervised by a Committee constituted by NBHM. All major policy decisions with regard to the Mathematical Olympiads programme are made with the concurrence of NBHM.
- A pre-Regional Mathematical Olympiad (PRMO) exam will be held on August 19, 2018 between 10AM to 1PM at different centres all over India. In order to be eligible for the RMO it is mandatory that students qualify through this centrally administered PRMO. No other independently administered examinations will be recognized.
- Eligibility: Candidates born on or after August 1, 1999 and studying in Class 8,9,10,11 or 12 are eligible to write PRMO 2018. Further, the candidates must be Indian citizens. Provisionally, students with OCI cards are eligible to write the PRMO, subject to conditions as explained below:
- As per the orders of the Madras High Court, students with OCI status will not be eligible for selection to the Indian team in the International Mathematical Olympiad. However, such students are provisionally eligible for selection at ALL prior stages, up to and including the IMOTC provided they fulfill all other criteria. This policy is subject to revision without prior notice depending on any further orders issued by the courts, or by a competent Government authority.
- It is the student’s responsibility to determine if she/he satisfies the eligibility norms for each stage of the Mathematial Olympiads. If, at any stage, it is found that the student does not meet the eligibility norms, she/he may face disqualification from the programme.
- The PRMO will be a machine-correctable 3-hour duration test of 30 questions. Each question has an answer which is a number with one or two digits. Sample PRMO questions and Sample OMR sheet showing marked answers can be downloaded from here.
- The PRMO exam will be organized by MTA (Mathematics Teachers’ Association) with assistance from IAPT. The PRMO registration is available at the following page: http://mtaexam.com/
- A link to a portal will be available at the above webpage where schools can register as “registration centres”. During students’ registration, these registration centres are expected to accept fees from students from any school and register them at the portal. The fee will be Rs 220 for each student and the registration centre will retain Rs 20 (to be used for making student lists and printing admission tickets) and transfer the rest to the address mentioned. There will be a reduced fee for KV and JNV students whose schools will be used for conducting the PRMO.
- This portal will be open from June 1 to July 03 for centre registration and from June 1 to July 10 for student registration. Registered centres can start registering students from June 1 to avoid last minute rush. The centre registration closes on July 03, 2018.
- All Kendriya Vidyalaya, Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya and Atomic Energy Central Schools may also register as registration centres regardless of the number of students and may accept to register students from other schools.
- The list of “registration centres” will be available on the PRMO website from June 15 2018.
- Students can approach one of the approved “registration centres” in this list and register through them for the PRMO exam between June 15 and July 10, 2018 for a fee of Rs 220 (and reduced fee for KV and JNV students).
- The KVs and JNV schools will be exam centres. Certain other exam centres may be selected carefully and will be mentioned on the website. .
- A carbon copy of the answer sheet (OMR) will be given to the student after the exam; students can check their answers as against the answers which will be uploaded on the MTA website.
- NOTE: The OMR sheet MUST be retained by the individual student till the conclusion of the Mathematical Olympiad Programme for 2018-19. This will be used for verification purposes for all steps of the Mathematical Olympiad.
- From each region, the top (up to) 300 students from Classes 8,9,10,11 and the top (up to) 60 students from Class 12 will be eligible to write the Regional Mathematics Olympiad exam. For the KV, JNV schools which have a countrywide coverage, the number to be selected is up to 5 per cent from Classes 8,9,10,11 and up to 1 per cent from Class 12, of the number of registrations.
- Students studying in non-KV and non-JNV schools affiliated to CBSE will belong to their respective geographical regions.
- In case of all regions other than KV and JNV, the region to which a student belongs will be determined by the postal address of the school in which a student is studying. Any false information provided at the time of registration in this regard will be treated extremely seriously and will lead to immediate disqualification of the student from all subsequent participation in the Indian Mathematical Olympiad.
- Each regional co-ordinator (including the co-ordinators for the groups KV and JNV) will receive the list of students eligible to write RMO by September 15th. Each Regional Co-ordinator shall conduct the RMO in her/his region on October 7th, 2018. The list of students who qualify for RMO will also be announced on the HBCSE website.
- Based on the RMO exam, the final list of 30 top students from Classes 8,9,10,11 and the top 6 students from Class 12 plus the next 5 girl students will be sent by each regional co-ordinator to HBCSE by November 30, 2018. This should be done after completing re-evaluation (provision for which is mandatory).
- HBCSE will announce the list of students eligible to appear for INMO 2019 from all regions by December 07, 2018.
- The INMO exam will be held on January 20, 2019 and will be conducted by each regional co-ordinator and the answer papers sent to HBCSE.
- The regional co-ordinators will be sent brochures/posters and will be requested to advertise the information on their webpages or homepages. The support of all the Regional co-ordinators is crucial in this regard.
ALL QUERIES CONCERNING THE PRMO EXAM MAY BE SENT TO THE CHIEF EXAMINATION CO-ORDINATOR, MTA, PREFERABLY BY EMAIL AT firstname.lastname@example.org OR AT THE FOLLOWING ADDRESS:
Prof. B. J. VENKATACHALA DEPT. OF MATHEMATICS INDIAN INSTITUTE OF SCIENCE BANGALORE - 560012
Directions to Registration Centres
- The expected minimum number of students for registering a centre is 20.
- The registration center is urged to register also those students who may not belong to their institution. This is a request from MTA to enable smooth conduct of Pre-RMO.
- Students are generally advised to register in their own school but if a student’s school is not a registration centre, they may register at any registration centre in the list.
- The registration centres are required to enroll all such desirous students and oblige.
- Kindly enroll students by collecting appropriate fees, and issue the receipt for the fees collected. The fees are: 220/- (Rupees Two Hundred and Twenty only) per student, for non-KV and non-JNV students.
- For KV and JNV students, the registration is through the respective KV and JNV schools only.
- The registration centres should retain Rs. 20 per non-KV and non-JNV student, and remit Rs 200 to MTA/IAPT. KVs and JNVs registering their own students should send the full fee amount collected to MTA/IAPT at the address to be indicated later.
- The last date for registration of centres is July 03, 2018.
- The last date of enrolment for students is July 10, 2018.
- It is not possible for individual students to register directly for PRMO 2018. They have to use one of the registration centres for their registration.