The objectives of MTA will be to work towards improving the teaching and learning of mathematics and related areas at all levels – both inside and outside the formal educational system, in the whole of India.
Its activities will include:
- Supporting the development and adoption of learning materials and teaching strategies that will enable learners to enjoy and discover mathematics.
- Holding conferences, seminars, workshops, reorientation programmes etc. aimed at teachers.
- Supporting the implementation of Olympiad programmes in the country through conducting exams, and holding training camps for students and teachers.
- Enhancing public knowledge of and interest in mathematics and related areas through a variety of media platforms.
- Publishing periodicals devoted to mathematics teaching and learning, and to sharing information and professional knowledge relevant to mathematics teachers.
- Coordinating with other national and international bodies having similar objectives, and
- Undertaking such other tasks as may be in conformity with the objectives of MTA.